28 July 2017
Created by Barry Thompson © 2011-2017 Aston on Trent on Trent Local History Group, all rights reserved
Aston on Trent History – The Break Up Of The Old Estates And The Arrival of the Holden Family - Part 1     The Tikhull line ran out in the early 16th century. In 1513 the last of the family, Thomas Tikhull of Aston, gentleman, sold his manor of Shardlow and all his property in Shardlow, Aston on Trent and Wilne (Great Wilne) to John Hunt of Overton in Ashover, gentleman for £60 passing over the property in Aston on Trent and Wilne immediately but retaining for himself and his wife, Elizabeth, for life the manor of Shardlow and all his lands there. Unfortunately, the conveyance described the estate only in general terms but two later documents throw more light on its possible extent. A deed of John Hunt’s son, Christopher, referred in 1532 to the manor of capital vessuage of Aston upon Trent, which was almost certainly Tikhulls old home, for which the Hunts were claiming the status of a manor. Christopher Hunt’s inquisition post mortem in 1538, by which time the Hunts had obviously acquired Tikhulls Shardlow property, reported Hunt to hold at his death a capital messuage (Aston Hall), two cottages, 100 acres of arable, 10 acres of meadow and 120 acres of pasture in Aston, as well as a messuage one fifteenth part of a knights fee, the latter probably the remains of the old Ferrers manor. Hunt also held the manor of Shardlow, a manor which was late in origin, with a cottage, three tofts, 100 acres of pasture, all held of the king as of his manor of Weston, and until recently held of the Abbey of St Werburgh. Though the Hunts may well have bought other parcels the bulk of this property was very likely the old Tikhull estate, unlike the lands in Chellaston which the Hunts had acquired before 1538, and which were listed in the inquisition. The Hunts activities seem to have overstretched them financially and they began to sell off property. The manor of Shardlow and probably all or the bulk of their Shardlow property was sold in the late sixteenth century. By 1617, their estate in Aston on Trent consisted of the capital messuage called Aston Hall with dovecote, gardens, and two orchards. Malt mill, ‘cunnygrey’ (rabbit warren), eight cottages, eight closes, 5½ yard lane of arable land containing 140 acres in the several fields of Aston on Trent and 20 acres of meadow and pasture, all in Aston on Trent and in Robert Hunt’s tenure – that in, he farmed his property himself. The family’s financial difficulties continued and parcels of land in Aston on Trent were sold off. At last in 1630 John Hunt, the last of his family, sold the Aston on Trent Hall estate to John Gregorie of Nottingham, gentleman, for £350 although John and his wife Anne were to remain as tenants for life. By the time the Hunts financial difficulties had reduced, the property to Aston on Trent Hall, its garden, two orchards, malt mill, cunnygrey, six cottages, two closes, 3½ yardlands (said in 1665 to contain 100 acres) and the 20 acres of meadow and pasture. Gregorie in his turn sold the property three years later in 1633 to trustees of Anthony Roper of Eltham esq., already the owner, in right of his first wife of the manor of Weston upon Trent and the extensive lands in Weston, Aston, Shardlow and (Great) Wilne which went with the manor.