Created by Barry Thompson © 2011-2017 Aston on Trent on Trent Local History Group, all rights reserved
Aston on Trent History – The Break Up Of The Old Estates And The Arrival of the Holden Family - Part 3
It is difficult to say exactly what the acreage of a yardland was, but in Aston, it seems to have been no more than 24 or 25 acres, including the
meadowland belonging to each yardland. The ten Aston on Trent farms with their 15½ yardlands of the old Weston manor therefore contained
probably between 350 and 400 acres, in addition to which the Weston estate owned within Aston on Trent a number of meadows; including the
20 acre Lockholm or Lackeholme, and a part of the six yardlands said to lie in Aston on Trent and Weston on Trent. There was then probably over
400 acres of Aston on Trent Township in the ownership of the Weston estate split to disintegrated further, as Wilmot sold his Aston on Trent
properties chiefly to the sitting tenants, Whilst Holden sold one of his Aston on Trent farms likewise. Holden also settled Weston Hall, with some
Weston land, on his son, Samuel, his principal heir. The 1651 settlement and the overwhelming predominance of the Wilmot holding in Weston
ensured that the future Holden estate should centre on Aston on Trent Hall, rather than Weston Hall.
A dispute between William and Robert Holden, finally settled in 1681, left Samuel Holden with two farms containing two messuages and three
yardlands between them, a number of meadows, two yardlands (40 acres) in the common fields and some lands in Weston (including five acres
of New Close there), Wilne and Shardlow, and the advowson of Aston. The lands within Aston on Trent probably represented an accession of the
Aston on Trent Hall property of less than two hundred acres. The advowson was chiefly used to provide for younger sons, or in one case a
nephew, and between 1681 and 1916, a period of 235 years, members of the Holden family (including the eighteenth century Rector, John
Rolleston, a Holden through his mother) were Rectors of Aston on Trent for 170 years.
A further development of the late sixteenth and seventeenth centuries was a growth in the number of owner-occupiers, partly occasioned by the
sale of the Sacheverelle of Hopwell property there in 1595, but chiefly by the break up of the Weston estate within Aston on Trent after the
sales to Wilmot and Holden. The Sacheverelle had interests in Aston on Trent even in the fourteenth century, the 1595 sales consisted of two
farms, one a messuage and three yardlands etc., the other a messuage and one yardland, perhaps about 100 acres in all. If the Sacheverelles
had other property in Aston on Trent it too must have been disposed of, for the family seems to have disappeared from the township.