28 July 2017
Created by Barry Thompson © 2011-2017 Aston on Trent on Trent Local History Group, all rights reserved
Aston on Trent - Anglican Parish Church of All Saints’ Over succeeding centuries the church has undergone significant changes. The substantial Norman tower indicates the church was of some importance but apart from the tower, the font and the base of the pillars other Norman construction was demolished in the 13th century to make way for the Gothic nave and chancel. Over the next hundred years the tower and the nave were heightened and the original line of the roof inside the church can still be seen as well as masonry changes on the outside of the tower. The south aisle was also added to provide a Lady Chapel. The elaborate local alabaster tomb of lawyer Thomas Tickhill and his wife, dates from the mid-15th century. At this time the chancel roof was raised and the long windows added to the south side of the chancel. The Reformation saw oak pews installed when people began to sit and listen to the service; then taken in English. A Jacobean altar table, the gift of the Rector John Hunt, was introduced in 1630. A 17th century bassoon and flageolet (oboe) was discovered, revealing how church music was played before the introduction of pipe organs in Victorian times. The Holden family paid for sensitive restoration in 1873 with the introduction of the pulpit, reredos (carving behind the altar) and choir stalls. Most of the windows, with the exception of the fine “Kemp” window, portraying St. Michael and St George, are early 20th century creations. A tower screen was installed in the 1980’s to create a play room for children. A nave altar was introduced in order to celebrate a more participatory Holy Communion. Different styles of worship have come and gone, but the Christian faith has been celebrated here for over 1200 years. All Saints’ Church is a beautiful building, but, most importantly, it is a parish church, which is still the focal point of worship and prayer for a living community of people. The existence of what appear to be stones taken from a Celtic preaching cross (later built into the west wall of the north aisle of All Saints’ Parish Church) suggests that there has been a Christian community at Aston on Trent since the late 7th century.  The first missionary monks to visit the village probably came from Repton which was the “Minster” or mother church of the area.