Created by Barry Thompson © 2011-2017 Aston on Trent on Trent Local History Group, all rights reserved
Aston on Trent - The Big Houses - The Lodge Part 1
Joseph Greaves of Ingleby and Foremark purchased land in Aston on Trent in the late 1730’s
and commissioned the building of the Lodge, probably by William and Francis Smith, who had
recently worked on Aston on Trent Hall, owned by Robert Holden. The original design of the
Lodge was a five by three bay, two and a half story house similar to that of Aston on Trent
Joseph died in 1749 and the house was inherited by the eldest of his three sons. The son, also
called Joseph, lived at the Lodge with his wife Ann, sister of Sir Brook Boothby of Ashbourne.
When he died he left the house and contents to Ann who by 1791 was living in Staffordshire.
On her death in 1819 her body was returned to Aston on Trent to be placed in the family
Aston Lodge was then purchased by the Rev. Charles Holden, Vicar of Aston on Trent for
£4,500. It was described as ‘a capital messuage’ with dove house, coach house, stables and
barn and sat in nearly 68 acres. That same year, 1791, he inherited Aston on Trent Hall and
sold the Lodge to Mr Pack, who a year later sold off a large part of the estate to Thomas
Sutton of Shardlow. Mr Pack retained the house and around twenty acres. Nine years later a
Mrs Darwin was the owner who was still there in 1815.
In1820 George Redmond Hulbert owned and occupied the property. He had joined Nelson’s navy and was earning large sums of money working as a Naval
Prize Agent in the West Indies. Hulbert made significant alterations to the Lodge. The garden front acquired a wide full length bow to the right of the
entrance. A triangular pediment was added above the front and garden entrance. A ball room was built to the left of the garden front and a service wing
was built to the right of the bow. This was almost as large as the original house.
On Hulbert’s death in1825 his widow eventually sold the Lodge to James Sutton the canal entrepreneur. He too made extensive alterations. The ballroom
range was raised to full height at the front to match the service wing. The garden front entrance was altered to look very much like the garden entrance of
Aston on Trent Hall and Sutton then leased the house to a variety of tenants.
William Drury Holden (a distant relative of the Holden’s of Aston on Trent Hall) was the first recorded resident. He married Cally, youngest daughter of the
2nd Lord Scarsdale of Kedleston Hall in 1827 and they lived at Aston Lodge “a comfortable family mansion” for nearly 10 years. Constantia Walker was the
next known tenant, moving into Aston Lodge around the time of her husband’s death; his family owned the Samuel Walker Iron Company in Rotherham,
Yorkshire. It is not known when Constantia left but by 1864 Mr and Mrs Miller were in residence. The school log records that Mrs Miller would visit the
‘lowest class in arithmetic to help with the teaching of subtraction.’ Lady Emily Elizabeth Palmer and her daughter had moved into the Lodge by 1870. She
was the widow of Sir George Joseph Palmer, Baronet of Wanlip Hall and High Sheriff of Leicester.