Created by Barry Thompson © 2011-2018 Aston on Trent on Trent Local History Group, all rights reserved
Aston on Trent - The Big Houses - The Lodge Part 2
The next twenty years saw a number of tenants at Aston Lodge. William Earl Welby Esq. J.P. lived at the Lodge from 1872. In 1880 Charles Hope and his
wife Leanora were in residence. A well known collector of antiques, Charles Eyre Bradshaw Bowles moved his wife Elizabeth and their three children to
Aston Lodge from Gloucestershire.
Around the turn of the century Charles Augustus Peters was a tenant. He was born in Germany but became a naturalised British subject. He lived at the
Lodge with his wife Rachel. His occupation was a ‘foreign merchant manufacturer.’ He died in 1904.
Reginald Sam Boden purchased Aston Lodge from the Sutton family in 1908. He was the son of lace manufacturer Henry Boden and Mary Shuttleworth of
Aston on Trent Hall. Reginald Boden made alterations to the Lodge around 1910. A new stable block was built and also a water tower. The water tower
supplied the house and the extensive grounds. These buildings are now private apartments.
The garden was re landscaped with terracing, fish ponds and fountains. To the front of the house alterations were made to the ground floor and extra
windows and a second bow were installed. Imposing gates, originally made by Robert Bakewell, one of the greatest 18th Century ironsmiths, were placed at
the front entrance of the Lodge.
Some local residents can still remember one of Reginald’s daughters marrying at Aston on Trent church. A red carpet was laid from the door of Aston Lodge
to the entrance to All Saints Church and Elizabeth, known as Betty, was attended by a page boy and nine bridesmaids. The youngest were dressed as
shepherdesses wearing Boden lace bonnets and carrying shepherd’s crooks. One bonnet still exists today. There were also a group of flower girls in
attendance chosen from the village. The wedding guests included several Lords and Ladies, a large number of military and an Admiral of the Fleet.
Around 1925 the house lay empty for a short period before becoming the Vale of Belvoir Nursing Home. In 1928 Alfred Loomes purchased the house and
dismantled it in 1932/1933 with fixtures and fittings being auctioned off. The gates were sold to Long Eaton Borough Council for £33 and can still be seen
today at the entrance to West Park, Long Eaton.
Frank Worrall ran a market garden business from the land after the house was demolished. He was trading from 1935 until at least 1941. Part of the land
and the stables was used by Dennis Young as a horse racing establishment during this time.
The houses of Lodge Estate were built around the time of the Second World War and stand where Aston Lodge once stood. People can still recall playing on
the impressive fountain on the playing fields; the last remaining feature of the landscaped garden. As a result of the demolition sale in 1933 many features
of the original house and garden still reside in local properties today.
A comprehensive account of this history can be found in the Group's publication 'The History & Heritage of Aston on Trent on the Sale Items Page'