Created by Barry Thompson © 2011-2017 Aston on Trent on Trent Local History Group, all rights reserved
Aston on Trent - The Big Houses - The Hall or Mansion
Built in 1735 for Robert Holden, this substantial country house is of two and a half
storeys and five by three bays. It is thought to be the work of Francis Smith of Warwick.
Built of brick with stone dressings from neighbouring Weston Cliff, the house has a
central bay breaking forward with a Venetian window above a porch with Ionic columns,
the latter being a later addition. Further additions were made in 1828 and a few years
later, possibly around the early 1840’s, the building was painted a “stone” colour. In
1898 the Holden’s sold the Aston on Trent Estate, along with the Hall, to Colonel William
Dickson Winterbottom. Shortly after this change of ownership a major extension was
built to the west front of the Hall. This comprised a two storey wing with attics, the
ground floor being a Billiard Room which is sometimes referred to as the Ballroom, with
bachelor rooms above. Access to the first floor rooms is by a staircase of eighteenth
century origins which was obtained from an outside source. In the early part of the
twentieth century the grounds and gardens were re-modelled.
The Winterbottom family remained at the Hall for twenty-six years and during the First World War they gave over part of the Hall to serve as an
auxiliary hospital for the recuperation of wounded officers. Following the death of Colonel Winterbottom in April 1924 the Hall, together with
entire Aston on Trent Estate, was sold at auction in November of that year. The Hall and its grounds were purchased by Nottingham Corporation
and in April 1926 it was opened as a Colony for the Mentally Deficient. Over the ensuing years the Hall was used less for patient occupation and
was eventually used for administrative and staff accommodation purposes as more suitable patient accommodation was developed in the Hall
During the 1980’s and 90’s Aston on Trent Hall hospital gradually went through a shut-down process with the Hall itself being sold of to private
developers in 1995. The Hall was subsequently converted into private apartment dwellings.
Despite its various roles over the last eighty years Aston on Trent Hall has been treated kindly and sympathetically during its terms as two types
of hospital and finally as private apartment dwellings. Both externally and internally it has remained largely true to its original design and
hopefully will remain so protected by its Grade II listing as a building of special architectural and historic interest.