Created by Barry Thompson © 2011-2017 Aston on Trent on Trent Local History Group, all rights reserved
Aston on Trent At Work - Part 2
The census of 1901 (246 persons) revealed little change other than an upsurge of employment in the plaster pits – up to 13% of the population. The high
level of domestic service was accounted for by employment at Aston on Trent Hall, Aston on Trent Lodge and the Rectory.
During the Second World War Frank Worrall and Jimmy Lowther set up NOTSA Engineering Co. Ltd. (precision engineering components) in the grounds of
what had been Aston on Trent Lodge and is now Lodge Mews. NOTSA is Aston spelt in reverse. After the war a new factory was built to supply machining for
the Derby-based Rolls Royce Company. NOTSA was bought out by Vickers Engineering in 1982 who sold it to Ferranti Measuring Systems in 1984. The
following year production was moved away. No trace of the factory complex remains.
Two pubs continue to contribute to the social life of Aston: The White Hart and The Malt Shovel.
The Malt Shovel can be traced back to 1857. 1870 the licensee was John Holbrook though prior to this he was listed in the Derby Gazetteer in 1860 as a
beer retailer and in 1837 as keeping a beer house.
The White Hart can be traced back to 1771. Christopher Wright the Elder transferred the ownership of the pub, by Deed of Gift, to his son William for the
sum of five shillings. On his death Sarah, probably a sister of William, re-inherited the pub and upon her death in 1857, ownership was transferred to her
daughters Maria and Elizabeth by a Deed of Agreement made in 1843. The pub remained in the family until sold by a Deed of Settlement by Elizabeth and
Maria Wright to Edward Holden in 1866 for £900.
A further pub, The Coach and Horses, operated in premises on Derby Road and can be traced back to 1804 though trading appears to have ceased sometime
between 1870 and 1881.
There are references to three ale-houses operating in 1577.
Other Village Businesses
George Bull – Coal merchant at the turn of the Twentieth Century
Archie Elliott Moss – Horse dealer 1916 -1925 supplying to the military
Wells Coaches – William & Frederick started the first village bus service
Porter’s Blacksmithy operated as a family business from 1895 to the
G.H. Berresford – Grocer and Provisions shop late 1930s, sold to Peter
Kelton (Butcher)1960s, sold to the Goodacres in 1970s. It is now a private
Joseph (Alec) Worrall’s – Licensed general store 1970s in what is now
the Post Office. It was previously a bakers & grocers run by father
and son Arthur Swann
The Post Office has been continually open for business since 1871
though in different premises. Originally in a cottage front room it
was re-sited in the old village hall (now demolished) and run by Bill
Clulow’s greengrocers and general store. A family business since the
Ken Newbold’s garage opposite The Green was originally a Maltings
house for the White Hart. It became a garage in the 1930s,
requisitioned by the Royal Engineers in the war then owned by
George Bagguley until taken over by Ken in 1970.